Monday, November 22, 2010

Interview with Author Shana Norris!

Shana Norris


Interview- November 2010


1.As a child, what did you want to do when you grew up?

At first, I wanted to be a teacher because I liked pretending I was the teacher and making my younger brothers and sister be the students. (I was ALWAYS the teacher. I'll admit I was a little bit bossy as a kid, my right as being the oldest in the family, lol!) Then my career dreams changed to things like ballerina, rock star, and archaeologist. Around age 10, I realized that some people made their living writing books and so I decided I wanted to be a writer one day and that was my goal from that point on!


2.In your book "Something to Blog About", How does Libby's blog posts get posted over the whole world to see?

Well, I'll just say that Libby has an arch-nemesis named Angel who makes it her goal in life to make Libby as miserable as possible. So it has to do with Angel, but exactly how it happens is a secret revealed in the book!


3.Do you have a favorite book?And what is it?

The one I would probably list as number one favorite is Emily Climbs by L.M. Montgomery. It's the second in her Emily series and it's always been my favorite. I've always related much more to Emily of New Moon than to Anne of Green Gables, though I loved the Anne books too. But I've read Emily's struggle to become a writer so many times that my copy of the book is falling apart.


4.Do you have any advice for other writers?

Don't let rejection or bad feedback get you down! It is SO easy to become convinced that you'll never make it and let yourself give up. During the time that I was trying to find an agent, the one thing that kept me going was the thought that if I gave up right then, I'd never know if maybe the next query letter I sent out would have been the one that got me an agent. Keep pushing through the hard times and believe in yourself!


5.What are your upcoming projects?

I don't have any definite releases to mention because we're in the submission phase at the moment, but I am working on several different projects. I have something that's similar to Troy High and Something to Blog About, in that it's a humorous romance, but then I'm also working on a project that's completely different. Hopefully soon I'll have some details I can release!


6.How long have you been writing?

I wrote my very first book when I was 8 years old. It was called The Lonely Rectangle and it was terrible! But after that I kept writing down new stories and making up new characters all the time. I filled tons and tons of notebooks as a kid and teen with stories. So I've been writing for 22 years now, though I seriously started trying to get published around age 20, so only 10 years since I became really serious about writing.


7.What is your book "Troy High" About?

Troy High is a modern day retelling of the the Trojan War, focused mostly on the events in The Iliad. I've always loved the Helen of Troy story and I was struck one day by how easily it could fit into a high school setting. I come from a small Southeastern US town where high school football is serious business and our schools have deep rivalries (I still hear comments from time to time whenever I happen to meet someone who went to my school's rival, even though I graduated high school 12 years ago!). So I decided to turn those experiences into a modern day Trojan War.


8.Do you enjoy Blogging?

I do, though I'm very slacking in updating my blog these days! I still have a day job and I'm writing, so my blog gets pushed aside a little. I've been keeping an online journal/blog since the age of 16--that was way back in 1996. So half of my life has been online, though I don't write as much as I used to. I tend to update my Twitter and Facebook more often than my blog these days because it's short and quick.


9.Do you see writing as a long- or short-term career?

Long-term, hopefully! I'd love to switch to writing full-time and make a career out of it. I love hearing from readers and sharing the characters that live in my head with everyone!


10.Thank you!What else would you like to say or have me post?

Thanks so much for the interview! 


To check out more about Author Shana Norris Visit her website at- http://www.shananorris.com/ or her blog at-http://shanawrites.livejournal.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for Commenting we will get back to you as soon as possible.thanks!