Sunday, October 24, 2010

Interview with Author Kimberly Pauley!


Interview- October 2010


1.What did you see change from your first book to your newer books?
A lot! When I originally wrote the book, Mina was 17 going on 18 and a senior in high school, but my publisher wanted me to make her younger. So once that changed, it also changed what would have to happen in the second book. So the second book was really entirely different than it would have been. Also, I used the feedback I got from fans extensively in deciding what questions needed to be answered and what characters needed their stories continued in the second book. If I get to write a third one, I'm sure I'll be doing the same thing.

2.What inspires you?
Oh, everything! I know that sounds silly, but you never know what's going to hit you. It could be a news article (I save clippings) or something someone says or someone you see on the street. I play the "what if" game with myself a lot.

3.What college did you attend?
The University of Florida in Gainesville. I have a Bachelors in English.

4.What language do you prefer your books to be in, English or Spanish?
Well, I guess I'd have to say English since it's my main language, but I think it is SO awesome that the books have been translated into Spanish (and other languages). The second one is coming out in November and I can't wait to see it.

5.Do any of your books have events you experienced in your hometown in it?
Yes, in the second book Mina moves to a small town in Louisiana. I moved to a small town in Mississippi when I was a junior in high school. Some of the things that Mina sees there came directly from my life (like the cow patty bingo).

6.What are your upcoming projects?
I've just finished a book called "Cat Girl Saves the Day" and my agent has it now. No status on it yet, but hopefully he'll sell it soon! And I hope to make a third Mina book.

7.What is your book Sucks to Be Me, about?
It's about a girl who's parents are vampires and she has to decide (in only a month's time) whether or not she wants to be one too. She has to attend vampire classes. But, at the same time, she's going through all the normal teenager stuff (like stressing about boys and prom).

8.How did you come up with the title to your book ,Sucks to Be Me?
The original title was actually "This Bites" but when I was sending it out to agents and editors, a bunch of books came out with similar titles. So once I sold the book, my editor and I tossed ideas back and forth. Ultimately, the credit for the title goes to my editor (she's awesome!).

9.Have you ever thought of writing a kid's book?
Yes. I've actually got one picture book manuscript finished, but haven't really tried to sell it yet. Maybe someday!

10.Thank You!! What else would you like to say or have me post?

Thank you! 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for Commenting we will get back to you as soon as possible.thanks!